42% of U7 hosts, which are on the new cluster, got their MySQL migrated onto SSDs now! 🎉 will probably be done today.
fun fact: each run contains progressively larger hosts. The first ones were ~3GB of MySQL data, the current ones are ~17GB and the largest one is >80GB. That one will take a while.
Some explanation on what we're even up to. The process for this is fairly straight forward:
1. mount SSD storage
2. rsync w/ MariaDB running
3. stop MariaDB
4. rsync w/o MariaDB running
5. move /var/lib/mysql away
6. bind-mount SSD storage to there
7. start MariaDB
If we're lucky and no data changes between 2. and 3., step 4 is pretty much instant. That means almost no downtime. If we're unlucky, a bunch of stuff changed which leads to >20 minutes of downtime :(
Admittedly, you can build the whole thing way more efficient and without any downtime using a primary/secondary setup. But any run-time we would have saved doing that, we'd have probably lost in dev-time. The latter one is more limited right now, so here we are.
Admittedly-admittedly it's not very smart to have MySQL on the application hosts in the first place. Changing that is a bigger (but planned!) project, though.
After a reboot at 4:30, sdb and sdc switched places on machholz.uberspace.de. MySQL was subsequently very unhappy about suddenly not seeing any data anymore. That made our monitoring very unhappy. Which in turn lead to two of us trying to figure out what the heck happened.. at 4:45 am. So 30 minutes of debugging and MySQL downtime later, we fixed the problem on that host and all other ones by using UUIDs instead of /dev/sdc. The obvious way to go in the first place.
So, what did we learn?
You can throw two seasoned and one kinda-seasoned admin at an almost trivial task and still manage to make rookie mistakes. And that's okay. Everyone missteps sometimes. Sometimes people even mess up really, really badly. Try to not beat yourself up about it.
We fixed the problem quickly, nobody was blamed and luckily at 4am hardly anyone cares anyway.
... aand I even managed to get some sleep after 4:30!
Fixed the playbooks to use UUIDs in the future, migrated a few more hosts and even debugged the general storage performance a bit 🏎️ 🎉
We're off into an extended weekend now. Thanks for playing and see you next week 👋
aand finally moving MySQL on wirtanen.uberspace.de onto SSDs. That's the big 71GB one I was scared of earlier.
This will also mark 62 of 87 hosts migrated 🎉
@dev story of my linux installations. Did not find disks on boot or needed VEEEEERY long to resolve something on boot. Then I put on verbose, switched in as consequences of the log output to uuids and are a happy dev since then. It can happen everyone. And I am still wondering why uuids arent the default when creating fstab (in this case)
@dev Thx! 😊